Saturday, March 3, 2012

Nutty about the Neti



It finally feels like winter here in New Hampshire!  The fireplace is going, I went snow-shoeing (see picture above!), I had to shovel my car (which is now dead) out of a mound of snow... oh, and I am SICK.  Nothing major.  Just your typical stuffy nose, sore throat, congested and icky feeling.  I can't breathe either.  No big deal.

If you are like most people, you probably catch a cold a few times a year.  I am not like most people.  I usually DON'T catch a cold.  When I do catch a cold, I have a speedy recovery.  I owe this to my NETI POT!

What is a neti pot?  Basically a neti pot (I know this sounds gross) is a form of nasal irrigation.  Ew.  Yucky.  But doesn't it make sense?  The only way to get un-congested and un-stuffy is to irrigate the stuffiness and let it come out.  It is common sense. 

If you are interested in being able to breathe again, go purchase a neti pot from a pharmacy, the health care section of a grocery store, or a health food store.  It looks like a little Aladdin lamp.  Neti pots typically come with a few packets of saline solution, or you can just throw some salt in warm water to mix yourself.  Once your pot is filled with warm water, stick it in your nose and tip your head sideways.  Water will go in one nostril and out the other.  SO COOL!  Blow your nose several times while you do this and repeat a few times on each side.  You will be amazed at the nasty stuff that comes out of your nose.  I used the neti pot at Miss USA and had eye makeup coming out of my nose.  Seriously.  It was gross.


Using a neti pot takes some trial and error.  You may end up getting water in some uncomfortable places until you perfect the technique.  Patience!  It is worth it.  Neti pots are also great for allergies.  Clear out those allergens and all that mucous so you can breathe again! 

PS Try not to do it in front of people or they will laugh at you, then you will laugh and choke on the water. 

(this person needs to use their neti pot!)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I've been eyeing the neti pots at the pharmacy, and keep thinking I'll give it a try one of these days. Thankfully I haven't had to think about it this winter yet (knock on wood), but my Husband has been sick, and I might see if I can convince him to try this.

    ReplyDelete